Denmark celebrates Constitution Day on the 5th of June. Open political meetings with a combination of political speeches and traditional Danish “hygge” are arranged all over the country. National politicians often tour the country and give a handful of speeches on different location from sunrise to sunset.
The language is, however, usually Danish. Consequently, many international residents are practically excluded. The Social-Liberal Party in Copenhagen has decided to change that: This year we celebrate Constitution Day in English and welcome all foreigners regardless of political affiliation to attend.
The key topic will be the current refugee crisis in Europe and our response to it! The celebration will take place on the lawn in front of The Revue Museum “Revymuseet”, Allégade 5, 2000 Frederiksberg Sunday, June 5th from 11:30 hours. The program is estimated to finish at 13:30 hours.
– Constitution day is as Danish as The little Mermaid and H.C. Andersen, but to most foreigners it is a well- kept secret democratic tradition. In the spirit of openness, democracy and European solidarity, we think it’s about time to invite non-Danish speakers to join the conversation, says Sofie Carsten Nielsen, Vice-chair of the Social-Liberal Party Parliamentary Group, who is one of the confirmed speakers.
Confirmed speakers are:
- Sofie Carsten Nielsen, MP, Vice-chair of the Social-Liberal Party parliamentary group
- Anders Ladekarl, Secretary General for Red Cross Denmark
- HE Pol de Witte, Belgian Ambassador to Denmark
- Morten Jung, Deputy Mayor of Frederiksberg
- Fadel Juanmiry, Refugee and Integration consultant, Solrød kommune
- Iben Overgaard, Director of The Revue Museum & Storm P. Museum
All interested are welcome, you don’t need to be a member of the Social-Liberal party.
For additional information about the event contact: Elisabeth Thieden: firstname.lastname@example.org
To get a better understanding of Danish humor, take the opportunity to visit The Revue Museum afterwards (open to 16:00).
Bo Nissen Knudsen, Chairman of Social-Liberals Copenhagen: tlf. 30350172, email@example.com